We know this episode will be both challenging and encouraging to you as a small church pastor. The ten items below represent the notes we wrote, and then followed, as we recorded episode 152!
1. Sleep Someone today said “just get up earlier to find more time” – they never talked about getting to sleep earlier the night before!
2. Physical Activity Does regular exercise really improve a person’s overall energy level? (the answer really is - YES!) Why don’t we do it more?
3. Soul care – food for the soul
4. A Prioritized Schedule
Who comes first?
What comes first?
Is there health? (balance in your schedule between work, rest, exercise, travel, family, fun, adventure, continuing education, service, etc.)
5. Personal Relationships
Friends? (because they always come last!)
No need to self-censor
6. Peaceful places (an organized office, home, shed, yard, vehicle, etc.) places to go for retreat.
7. Acceptable expectations
Is your husband or wife, are your kids or grandkids, are your neighbors, is your board, or are your church members… etc. expecting too much from you? Do you know what each of those groups expects?
8. Openness and honesty in your church leadership
Can you truly talk with your board members? Will they tell you the truth? Do you tell them the truth?
9. How’s your pastoral attitude
Are you practicing love, forgiveness, listening, understanding, etc.? Are you getting frustrated, fed up, or exasperated? Do you see light at the end of the tunnel? Are you hopeful that things will continue to improve?
10. Food Intake – your diet. (That’s all we’re going to say)
If you are struggling in too many of these areas, call your best friend – be open and honest. YOU DO have the time! You don’t have the time NOT TO!
The lies we believe are “we’ll be okay”, “I don’t have time”, and “it’s not that bad.” Things don’t just generally get better without effort. Admit you’re not okay, take the time, define just how bad it is, and seek help, assistance, and encouragement.
Make your life and ministry the best it can be - HEALTHY! What action do you need to take this week?
Welcome to the 200churches blog! We have hundreds of posts covering every issue imaginable. So pull up a chair, pour a cup of coffee, and stay awhile.